2 1/2 tbsp black or jasmine tea
1/2 cup tapioca pearls
1/2 cup brown sugar
Regular or soy milk
For the sugar syrup (make this before cooking the boba pearls)
1.Place the sugar and water in a saucepan, and stir to combine. Heat over medium heat while stirring, to melt all of the sugar.
2.Let the syrup come to a boil. Cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes, until the syrup has thickened up slightly. Let it cool a little bit, while you cook the boba pearls.
3.Using a slotted spoon, transfer the boba pearls from the cool water into the warm syrup. Stir to coat. Use the pearls while slightly warm.
For the tapioca pearls
1. Boil Water. Make sure there is a minimum of 7 parts water to 1 part tapioca pearls.
2. Pour tapioca into boiling water and stir lightly so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.Let the tapioca float to the top.
3. Cook for 15 minutes on high heat. When the tapioca floats, cover the pot.
4. Maintain a rolling boil and stir every 5 minutes.After cooking for 15 minutes, take the pot off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes covered.
5. Run lukewarm or cold water over the pearls and drain the water from them. Cover in sugar syrup or brown sugar.
For the tea
1. Place the tea leaves in a brewing pot or French press.
2. Bring the water to a boil, and then leave it off-heat for about 3 minutes to reach the correct temp and THEN measure 2 ¼ cup of water into the brewing pot. Stir once or twice to make sure the tea leaves are saturated with water, then cover the pot and let it sit for no more than 5 - 6 minutes.
3. Strain the tea leaves, and place the tea in the fridge to cool down.
1. In a big glass, place some boba pearls, along with some of the sugar syrup.
2. Pour about 1 cup of brewed tea. The tea should be chilled or at least at room temperature (if you’re adding ice).
3. Add ice, and top up the glass with milk. Stir to combine. Taste and add more sugar syrup if you'd like the drink sweeter.